After a great time in Santa Barbara, I'm finally moving on. I will be going to Turkey for 3 months to be an au pair for a family. After that, who knows...but I'm excited for the possibilities.

About Me

My photo
California, United States

Friday, January 23, 2009

The European Side & Inauguration

Headed to the other other side (the northern, more European, European side). This area is where the Europeans settled back in the day and the architecture and culture reflects that. Many of the consulates are over here. Got my akbil refilled and walked down to the ferries.

Took the ferry and then walked across the bridge to get to Galata passing tons of fishermen and a few fisherwomen and above a ton of seafood restaurants. It was a really nice day- actually has been in the 50s and sunny lately. I actually got too hot for my jacket today walking around! Found the Tünel underground which is like a 3 minute ride up and down the hill past the Galata Tower. I was actually thinking of walking but it looked much farther in person than I imagined so I am glad I found the mini metro!
I was going to get lunch at a place called Four Seasons (not related to the hotel) on the other side but didn't see it and also probably missed the lunch time. Read from my guidebook they have great set lunches at 8YTL- will have to find it sometime. Saw jellyfish in the water!

Walked through this street with all musical stores- too bad I can't play anything. Ended up by Galata Tower but didn't go up today- I believe you can head to the very top and take in the great views. Went back towards Beyoğlu and ate at a simit cafe- got a simit sandwich and a deserty thing that looked like a simit. I've actually seen the simit stand guys slice the simits in half lengthwise and put I think cream cheese and a chocolate spread on them like a bagel so maybe they are more of a cross between a pretzel and bagel (as opposed to just a pretzel like I had first said). People watched and then hopped on the antique tram that goes along the famous İstiklal Caddesi- said to be like Las Ramblas in Barcelona which agree with but it seemed more organized and easier to navigate. Tons of shops, restaurants, cafes, bakeries, banks, movie theaters, and passed by the Galatasaray School which is a very distinguished high school primarily taught in French and Turkish- there is a univeristy too I think in the same area. The side streets are full of things too.

We finally got off at the end- Taksim Square. I didn't stay long as I had to get back to pick up Mert from the bus stop (which I ended up being late by a few minutes and got him on the other side of the street on the route back). Lots of people were out and about- somehow I always seem school kids in their uniforms not in school during the day. This one girl looked really young and was smoking- I was surprised even though lots of people smoke here.

Was able to watch a bit of the inauguration Tuesday night- so exciting! Thanks goodness for BBC and CNN. I had joined an Istanbul networking group for locals and expats and only last miınute saw there was a big party going on over on the other side tonight the Democrats Abroad would be hosting- darn that would have been fun. Pretty sunset tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment