After a great time in Santa Barbara, I'm finally moving on. I will be going to Turkey for 3 months to be an au pair for a family. After that, who knows...but I'm excited for the possibilities.

About Me

My photo
California, United States

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Busy day

Last Saturday I was going to baby sit in the evening (the dad's bday was on Sunday and they were going out with friends the night before) but ended up not having to so I was out for a while on the other side. Had fun souvenir shopping a little for people on the way up to the Yerebatam Sarnıcı (Basilica Cisteran) and Blue Mosque.

The cistern was really cool with eerie music and lighting in addition to being super dark and wet. The big draw are the 2 medusa heads in the corner- one is upside down and the other sideways. No one's really sure why but agree they were more for practicality (holding up columns) than decorative purposes. There was also a wishing pool where I threw in a penny! Oh yeah there's also a cafe near the exit- TOTALLY reminds me of the restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland!

It was a really nice day so I took some nice pics of the outsides of Aya Sofya and the Blue Mosque. Went into the Blue Mosque after waiting for prayer to finish. Wrapped my head along with other women but several did not and no one seemed to care- the wrap kept falling off though! It was really pretty inside and if I were religious, I bet it's really cool praying there.





Most places I've gone have had modern toilets and were free but I went to a public one today and had to pay 1 YTL and squat and use my own TP- but it's ok cuz I had some and am used to squat ones from Taiwan! Some ladies outside were debating whether or not to go in because they weren't sure if it was clean or dirty (more on the clean side I told them) and also because of the squat factor haha. I think this guy got upset because he started talking to me and I ignored him and he started explaining how Turkish people like to chat with visitors but I just said uh huh and walked away haha.









Headed over to the other European side and went up to Galata Tower- close to sunset! Such great views. Above is the bridge connecting the European and Asian side, the view towards where I live Kadiköy, and inland by the 2 European sides. A bit crowded and it said to go in one direction but some people didn't argh. There's a restaurant on that top floor too but I read it's expensive. Then proceeded to Taksim Square since I didn't see much last time (even though it was getting dark and it's not like I could see the park there). Pics of towards the historical sites and bridge where all the fisherman hang out.
Ended up shopping a bit for myself (a few more clothes) and got dessert for dinner!! Went to a place my guide book recommended called Saray. Got baked rice pudding (firinda sutlac)- it was cold but the top was chocolate-carmely and so good and some baklava (wanted pistachios but got walnuts- oh well still good). Pics of Galata Tower, Topkapı Palace, and Aya Sofya and Blue Mosque.

I didn't see any dolmuşes near Taksim (although I know they go there) so I walked back and took the Tünel to the bridge and then to the ferries but I ended up missing the last one! I freaked out a bit and stupidly didn't have the timetable with me of all the ferries. I went to the info booth at the train station which was closed but I asked the guys about Kadiköy (which I had a feeling and was correct that they thought I said Karaköy). I could have taken the train I think back or a ferry from another part of town but hopped on the metro he suggested and got back over the bridge- which is towards the direction I wanted I guess. I was debating whether to go back to Taksim but ended up walking a bit and grabbing a taxi- which wasn't too expensive but expensive enough and the guy and I couldn't really understand each other even though we tried to talk and he was a bit too friendly. But it was nice seeing the city at night and going over the bridge (which was added to the cost of the taxi ride). Had him drop me off the stadium so I could save some dough and walked the rest of the way- stopping to get a bottle of beer and some cereal at the store! Below the seafood resturants under the bridge and going across to the Asian side.

1 comment: